Consistent pace scores Elfyn a solid result in Sweden
M-Sport Ford World Rally Team’s EcoBoost-powered Ford Fiesta WRC showed winning pace at this weekend’s Rally Sweden – claiming five stage wins and challenging for victory on the second round of the FIA World Rally Championship.
Elfyn Evans had the speed to challenge for the top results this weekend, but was left ruing an early spin on Friday morning which cost him close to half a minute. Regrouping with three fastest stage times, the Welshman pushed hard but had to settle for fifth place – albeit just 10 seconds shy of the podium.
Showcasing his speed once again, he also claimed an additional three points for the third-fastest time through the Power Stage.
We’ve had very good speed for the most part of this weekend. I would say that we can be happy with 75 percent of the stages we did, but I’m just kicking myself about the other 25 percent which didn’t go quite as well as they should have.
We had the potential to be on the podium so we are left with a little bit of frustration, but there are still a lot of positives. We’ve made a massive step with the car compared to last year and we already know that we’re competitive on gravel so I’m really looking forward to the upcoming events.
Team Principal, Richard Millener, said:
It wasn’t the result we wanted, but it’s definitely been a positive weekend. The whole team has been working extremely hard on the development of this car, and it’s great to see that hard work paying off with stage-winning, and rally-winning, pace here in Sweden.
Elfyn had the speed this weekend with three fastest stage times, and he will be kicking himself about that spin on Friday morning! Were it not for that he could have secured quite a comfortable podium, but it was great to see him bounce back after the disappointment in Monte. I don’t think we’ll have to wait too long before he brings home some silverware, and I’m looking forward to seeing how he performs in Mexico.